Saturday, August 7, 2021

Q & A on Marriage Registration

1. What is the procedure for getting married?

-Buy a marriage license at $60 (or permit) from Victoria Jewellers Ltd at Southland Mall or the Paper Umbrella Store on 13th Ave near Albert St or some other stores listed by the provincial government if you are in Regina

-Arrange an official ceremony with a marriage commissioner or a priest 24 hours after the license is issued but within 3 months

-Apply for an official marriage certificate (certified copy) at $55 which will be processed for 4-6 weeks 

2. Who can officiate a wedding?

Normally a marriage commissioner or priest can do it at a fee. A religious ceremony may require joining in a church or some training before the ceremony is done.

3. Can people outside Saskatchewan get married in Saskatchewan?

Yes, any couple in Canada can register their marriage anywhere in Canada but the registration will be with the local government. Therefore, a marriage ceremony done in SK means the registration will be in SK.

4. Should the marriage commissioner verify the genuineness of the intent of the couple?

The marriage license issuer is responsible for checking the eligibility of the couple to get married. The marriage commissioner will rely on what is said by the couple, and he will refuse to officiate the wedding only if he has reasonable doubt that the intent is not genuine.

5. Is a second marriage at the same time allowed in Canada?

Polygamous marriages are not legal in Canada and are an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada. A spouse is not a member of the family class if the spouse or sponsor was already married to another person at the time of the subsequent marriage.

(Please refer to the provincial government website for your reference:


No comments:

Post a Comment